Tuesday 19 June 2007

"The £300k uni that gives tutorials on a virtual beach"

According to the online Daily Mail: "Students from around the world are being offered the chance to study their degree in a virtual paradise." Where is this paradise? It is here.

Late last night I came in after an evening hitting the pinot grigio, much better than staying in to watch a depressing documentary on the growing incidence of liver disease, and went for a saunter round Vue. I bumped into a guy called Stormbringer Blackflag who said that Vue did not look like it cost £300,000 to build, an opinion with which I could only concur. He said he had been emailed an article from the Daily Mail saying that Ed Uni had spent £300k (like real pounds, not Linden pounds) in Vue. Something about his name made me think that Stormbringer was not in the core Daily Mail demographic; in fact he said he was from Nova Scotia, which I believe is a virtual representation of Scotland in SL, but had been forwarded the article from the online Daily Mail. So, we are not only rich, we are famous too! I always treat everything I read about Second Life in the Daily Mail as gospel, except of course the articles complaining that foreign avatars are coming over and stealing our jobs from virtually under our noses, but these are technically opinion pieces rather than news. Facts are sacred to the Daily Mail, everybody knows that. Anyway, I have not seen much of this £300,000.

Today I ran into Frank Lassard, one of the developers of the Education area in Vue, or rather he nearly ran into me in his new car. I mentioned the article and complained that I had seen little of this 300k, to which he said I was clearly not very observant and could I please take my dirty hands off his Bentley.

No comments: