Saturday 23 June 2012

Opensim on VM: Finally working....

Finally have managed to get Opensim working on the uni's virtual machine after spending a week annoying IS support. It was hanging up on the region handshake when I tried yo connect using impudence. Could not find anything on opensim discussion boards about this problem on virtual machines; just stuff about the error being caused by port forwarding in routers. The virtual cluster is pretty much a black-box to me, so was worried this might make it impossible to run Opensim on VM. In the end it just needed the UDP ports opened. Now all I have to do is think of what we can use Opensim for. At the moment I am planning to shift large teaching simulations off Second Life onto Opensim, as they are used by local users, and then use the Second Life region as an open demonstrator of simple simulation exercises, using Facebook to track/authenticate users... so that should keep me busy for the rest of June.

No comments: