Wednesday 12 October 2011

Prima Colazione del Cane


Spotted today that one of the MBA students had cut a price yesterday for one item to one customer to £3000, when I presume they meant to cut it to £30000. As this is below the scrap value, result was massive surge in orders from this one customer for this one assembly. Pointed this out and was told this rapid descent into mayhem would be "educational" for the students. I then pointed out that having large numbers of orders placed on this item everyday feeding through to the requirement for forgings would generate inventory at a rate that would crash the simulation in eight hours, at which point the educational attractiveness of chaos went out of the window. The boss dived in and reset the value and I had to write a mod fast to wipe out the orders generated by the assumed mistake. I am not sure how pedagocically sound this action is.

The planning system has still thrown a surge of inventory on one family of parts into this factory, so maybe one of the students might spot this and realise increasing the capacity, if only short-term, might stop it all gumming up.

2 comments:

anaswakhani said...

I am the robot and I am Pakistani not Japanese!

anaswakhani said...

I am the robot and I am Pakistani not Japanese!